Knife Collecting - Military

 I just visited the local military show south of me, and one of the highlights is making my rounds of the vendors.  Every year I find some militaria treat.  I never served in the military, although my father was a career veteran of over 20 years, as was my father-in-law.  My father served in both WWII and Korea, so I'm always on the search for items related to his time of service.  

Although I didn't start out collecting knives, this trip added two to my modest collection, and they are both military related.  The first is what is known as the Camillus U.S. Military Utility Knife, or sometimes known as a "Demo Knife."  I actually now have two, as one was inherited from my father.  When I saw a vendor selling a few of these, I was excited.  I can't say I've seen these at these events before.  According to an online video they were discontinued in 2007. The main blade is stamped with the date of manufacture, which is helpful for determining the age, something not usually seen on knives.  My father's knife is dated 1961, and the one I purchased yesterday was stamped 1973.  It is is an all stainless steel knife that has a blade, can opener, flat head screwdriver, awl, and a bottle opener. 



 

The original Camillus Cutlery Company filed for bankruptcy in 2007 and the brand was purchased by Acme United Corporation in 2009.  I have a fixed blade knife from this new manufacturer, and they are relatively inexpensive to buy.  I haven't used it much, so I can't speak to its strengths.  The military knives shown above are models #1760. Stamped on one side, as you can see, are the initials U.S., although there are versions of the knife stamped U.S.M.C, U.S.N., and U.S.A.F for the 1763 model.The blade is 2 3/4 inches and by today's standards has a minimum of 'extras.'  Early stainless ones had a thumb stud on the caplifter blade, as you can see in the 1961 model my father owned.  The knife has an added lanyard bail, although I wear it in a nylon sheath I bought off of Amazon. The stainless steel is #440A. 




 

I also stumbled across a Ka-Bar fixed blade knife, model 1211 (also called the 211 Kraton G Fighting/Utility Knife in reference to the handle construction).  The vendor had it listed for $20, and knowing what little I did about this brand I realized it was a 'steal.'  So, after looking at other vendors, I circled back and purchased it.  This is not the iconic USMC Fighting Knife, still produced by Ka-Bar, but is related with the same blade construction and handle, albeit in a black finish. The original fighting knife was initially produced for the military in 1942. Both have a 7 inch blade.  The 1211 retails for over $130, although I'm sure you can find one online for less.  However, I doubt you will find the one I did, which appears new, for $20!  The knife above usually appears with a leather sheath, although this one came in a synthetic sheath.  There is a related model, the 1214, which comes with  with partially serrated edge. 

I'm sure both of these knives will work well for various uses, including hunting.  


Comments

ConnectCableNet, based in the USA, excels in bringing its customers the best deals and packages on cutting-edge products. It is your go-to source for the latest offers, including Viasat Unleashed, which delivers lightning-fast satellite internet to rural and remote areas. ConnectCableNet guarantees top-notch services and promotions with its affiliate marketing skills. ConnectCableNet offers excellent pricing and the fastest satellite internet, making rural internet access easy.

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Roots of the Warham Guild Hood

The Firefighter's Cross

KFUO-FM Sale: Editorial from Board of Directors