Crossbows

In the interest of possibly extending my season for deer hunting, I recently purchased a relatively inexpensive entry level recurve crossbow.  It was a Barnett Recruit Recurve.  Now that the gun deer season has officially closed, I'm not yet sure if I will buy a license to hunt for the month of December.  The bow's site still needs to be sited in and I haven't purchased any broadheads yet.  I also have only shot it a few times at close range, so it might be better to work at it throughout the intervening months and start fresh next fall.

I decided on a crossbow for fairly simple reasons.  Without the time to dedicate to the many hours of practice necessary for a compound bow, a crossbow would allow me to transfer my skills and experience from rifle shooting.  I think there was also a bit of fascination with its medieval roots. As a student of history it felt like I was going back to a simpler time.  However, it is interesting to note that at one time the church actually banned crossbow use because of it perceived effectiveness, first in 1096–1097 and later by the Second Lateran Council in 1139.  It is claimed that the crossbow was introduced into hunting after the 12th century following the First Crusade, although its use as a weapon of war goes back to the BC era.  Using a recurve crossbow makes me feel as if I am using a weapon closer to its ancient roots.  However, my purchase was based primarily on price and availability (a sale at Dunham's Sports for a crossbow under $150), not historical similarity.   Still, the idea of returning to a simpler, more primitive weapon appeals to me in a time when modern technology is so highly regarded.  The recurve, as I have read, is also a weapon much easier to repair in the field as opposed to the more complex compound with its multiple wheels and strings. 

So, we'll see what happens next.  Probably best to target practice a bit....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Roots of the Warham Guild Hood

The Firefighter's Cross

KFUO-FM Sale: Editorial from Board of Directors