Clergy and Honorary Doctorates

Proper etiquette informs us that the use of an honorary doctorate is in association with the institution that granted it.  In other words, you can be addressed as "Dr." in correspondence to and from that institution or while there.  Outside of it, however, you may list the degree as a post-nominal, such as (if I had one): The Rev. Donald V. Engebretson, D.D. 

I have noticed for some time, though, that many ordained clergy quickly begin to use the title in most settings.  A notorious example would be Bill Graham.  He had only an earned undergraduate degree (and a non-theological one at that), yet most addressed him as "Dr. Billy Graham."  This goes well beyond the famous.  Many in my own denomination freely use the title despite the fact the doctorate is not earned. 

I understand the temptation.  If I was granted an honorary doctorate it would be neat to see my name listed after "the Rev. Dr."  Yet I know in my heart this constitutes pure pride, something for which I find myself frequently repenting.   It is almost the same as the reasons for obtaining a doctorate.  Now many pursue this terminal degree for very valid and honorable reasons.  I have contemplated going back one more time to, well, finish things with a doctorate.  But do I need this degree?  Technically, no.  Although I teach as an adjunct for a seminary, my earned STM degree is sufficient.  No one is asking me to go back for more formal education.  If asked, I would. If required, I would. Yet right now it seems that the biggest motivation is that title.  And the title "Pastor" should be honor enough. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Roots of the Warham Guild Hood

The Firefighter's Cross

KFUO-FM Sale: Editorial from Board of Directors