A Personal Anniversary


Normally I use this blog to report and analyze events impacting the church-at-large. However, today is a special day for me and I wanted to pause for a moment to give a word of thanks to God and reflect on the past. Twenty years ago I was ordained to the Office of the Holy Ministry. The picture at the right is a young 26 year old pastor, fresh out of seminary, pleasantly oblivious to the pressures and struggles he has yet to experience. He is standing just outside the sanctuary at his home church, Trinity Lutheran Church of Wausau, Wisconsin. Over the next two decades he will find his abilities and competence stretched to their limit, and more than once will wonder if he should leave this vocation and find another. Doubt will stalk him again and again.

On the other hand he will also be touched deeply by the bonds of Christian friendship and the trust people will place in him as he is welcomed into the inner sanctum of their private lives. He will marry young couples and baptize some of their babies and rejoice in the wonder of new human beginnings. He will bury the dead and begin more and more to think of his own passing. He will counsel the troubled and discover that Paul was right when he said that "we walk by faith and not by sight." And he will stand in God's presence at the altar and know that it is here, where the Word is proclaimed and the Supper is celebrated, that he will find the strength to fulfill his Call.

Twenty years later he is still a pastor, although he realizes that this is God's doing, not his own. Left to his own human weaknesses he very well could have left long ago. The future? Unwritten. He doesn't know what it brings. However, after two decades he knows not to take himself too seriously. He realizes that in the long run life is measured not in the hours or minutes of a current crisis, but in the years of faithfulness where the shepherd remains with his sheep, trusting in the perfect will of God.

Jesus once contrasted the hireling with the true shepherd, saying that the hireling runs away at the sign of danger, but the shepherd stays to defend the sheep. He was talking of himself, but by extension, every pastor is a kind of "icon of Christ," modeling this sacrificial love of the Good Shepherd. Pastors today are often modeled after CEOs and coaches, working hard to rally the people to new and exciting projects. I have sat in the administrator's chair and directed the workings of a large complex parish. Still, in the end it was not here, but again at the altar that my calling was found. And it was in the shadow of the Shepherd that I found the strength to stay and fight the evil the assails the Church, and not run as my weak flesh so desperately desired.

Twenty years. It's hard to believe it's been that long. But a look in the mirror reveals many well-earned gray hairs in my beard, and far fewer hairs on the crown of my head. There are lines around the eyes now. I can't even imagine what I will see twenty years from now. But it doesn't matter. Every day is a gift, an opportunity of grace to serve. So I will serve today just as I did the day before. God will take care of the future.

For twenty years of blessings unimagined and for the sheer grace of your forgiveness to a fallen sinner called to serve the Master, I offer my thanks this day to my Lord and my God. I am here because you gave me the voice to say, "Here am I, send me." And I will be here tomorrow because of the same grace. Remain with me, Lord, for I am weak. But in you, I can still be more than a conqueror.

With thankfulness to Christ for twenty years of his love and strength and undeserved honor in service - 1987-2007.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your 20th Anniversary in the ministry. What a lot of hair your had back then!
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary, to my beloved! It's been an honor to stand by your side as you served the church these past 20 years.

"Where you go, I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your God, my God." Just as Ruth spoke those words, may they also be true for me. I will always support you as you fulfill God's calling, and will follow you wherever God may choose to send you.

We've had an incredible 20+ years together. If it be God's will, may He bless us with many more!
Lauriinnc said…
What a blessed occasion! God has used you to bless many in your care..but He has also blessed those of us who are honored to call you friend as well.

We celebrate with you and thank the good Lord for allowing our paths to cross (+) and like Paul said to the Philippians, "I thank God for all my remembrance of you."

ps-God sure did give you a wonderful wife who could hold your arms up when they got tired...;)
Anonymous said…
Dad,

Unfortunately, I don't think I've taken enough opportunities to tell you how much I admire you as a pastor - the one I think is the best in the world.

I've enjoyed learning and gleaning the vast amount of theological, pastoral, and intellectual wisdom from you. Your solid understanding of doctrine and practice is a goldmine of information that is exceedingly helpful to anyone.

Our parish is also blessed to have you as their shepherd. I've noticed how much concern you have for each and every one of the members, the mark of an excellent pastor, teacher, and friend.

Congratulations on your 20th year, and may God continue to strengthen your ministry in the coming years.
Unknown said…
Happy Anniversary Dad!

You really have been a role model to me these past few years. You have worked really hard in everything you do and I admire that.

Congrats to 20 years!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on 20 years of faithful service to God's Word & to His people! :)
Anonymous said…
Thank you for your twenty years of faithful service in the Lutheran church! I pray that God will continue to strengthen and sustain you as you continue to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Beth (Carol's friend!)
To all who left their gracious greetings here on the occasion of my anniversary, Thank You!

Pastor Engebretson
Presbytera said…
Chaplain and I join you in thanking God for 20 years. May He grace you with strength and health as you continue to be His instrument.

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Roots of the Warham Guild Hood

The Firefighter's Cross

KFUO-FM Sale: Editorial from Board of Directors